Castle Street looking north-east. The spire of Glasgow Cathedral can be seen above the rooftops and the square, 126 feet high north-west tower is near the roadside. The tower was probably erected at the same time as the consistory (ie; court) house, in the mid-13th century. The former was demolished in 1848, two years after the latter had been taken down
The tenement on the right of the image was built by a Mr Reid, tobacconist at the end of the 18th century. His son was known as "Author Reid" because he published many but critically unacclaimed essays on love, courtship and marriage. He inherited the property but died c 1855.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.14353 FAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
authors, Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, Glasgow Cathedral, horses and carts, houses, steeples, streetscenes, tenements, tobacconists, towers, women