This narrow passage called Inkle Factory Lane (inkle is a linen tape woven on a narrow loom and used to trim clothing and other items) led off from North Albion Street and later became simply a continuation of College Street.
The building in the centre was the first chapel in Glasgow to house a congregation of the Associate Presbytery, founded in 1733 after a schism in the Church of Scotland. The congregation remained there until 1821, when it moved to Greyfriars United Secession Church in North Albion Street. The old building was finally demolished c 1845, after serving briefly as a meeting place for a sect known as the Irvinites.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f914.14353 STU
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Associate Presbytery, chapels, Church of Scotland, churches, inkle factories, Irvinites, lanes, linen factories, meeting halls, Seceders, Secession Church, sects