Joseph Swan's view of Port Dundas from the south-east, 1829. Port Dundas was built at the end of the 18th century on the slopes of Hundred Acre Hill to the north of the city centre as a terminus of the Forth and Clyde Canal. The masts of larger vessels berthed there can be seen in Swan's picture, rising among the distilleries, warehouses and other buildings that were built around the new port.
Until the Clyde was deepened in the mid-19th century, Port Dundas was Glasgow's premier port. In 1825 alone, 98,670 tons of goods were imported to the city along the canal. The famous Swift passenger boats provided regular passenger and parcel services from Port Dundas to Edinburgh and towns along the route.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 SWA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
canal basins, canal boats, canals, distilleries, Forth and Clyde Canal, granaries, imports, masts, ports, sailing ships, Swift Passenger Boats, Swifts