Cloch Lighthouse near Gourock, pictured in a booklet issued around 1906 by William Moyes & Sons, 115 Bothwell Street, to advertise their acetylene gas lighting.
Cloch Lighthouse was built in 1796, as an aid to navigation in the Firth of Clyde. It was originally lit by a six wick oil lamp with about 2000 candlepower and was replaced in 1903 by acetylene gas lighting installed by Moyes. The new burners had about 20,000 candle power, and could be seen for 19 miles under ordinary conditions. The lighthouse became fully automated in 1973 and it is still used as an aid to navigation for commercial traffic and pleasure craft.
Lighthouses proved a lucrative market for William Moyes & Sons. Other lighthouses supplied by the firm included Cumbrae Lighthouse in the Firth of Clyde, Inchgarvie Lighthouse in the Firth of Forth, and Symbesterness Lighthouse in Shetland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.769620941443 WIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
acetylene, Cloch Lighthouse, Cumbrae Lighthouse, Firth of Clyde, Firth of Forth, gas, Inchgarvie Lighthouse, lighthouses, lighting, navigation, Symbesterness Lighthouse, William Moyes & Sons