A postcard view of Cathcart Road, Mount Florida, looking north at the junction of Carmunnock Road in 1938. Red sandstone tenement housing lines most of Cathcart Road in this area, a particularly fine example being the corner building on the right, a Glasgow Style tenement which has lead-covered bell-shaped corner towers and carved panels of gorgons' heads at second floor level. The school on the left of the picture is Mount Florida Public School, designed by H & D Barclay and built for the Cathcart School Board 1895-1897.
Football fans will be familiar with the streets leading off Cathcart Road to the right as the approaches to Hampden Park. Around the time when this photograph was taken, the scene would have been much busier on the day of the Scotland v England match of 1937. It was played before a crowd of 149,415 spectators, the highest official attendance for a football match ever recorded in Britain.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cathcart School Board, football, Glasgow Style, gorgons, Hampden Park, Mount Forida Public School, police phone boxes, postcards, sandstone, schools, Scotland v England, tenements, towers