A postcard view looking west along Dumbarton Road, showing Newton Place United Free Church, c 1907.
The building opened in 1865 at 259 Dumbarton Road as Partick West United Presbyterian Church, on the site of the old Partick Newton Place Relief Church which had stood there since 1824. It became Newton Place United Presbyterian Church in 1867 and then Newton Place United Free Church in 1900.
At the time of the union with the Church of Scotland in 1929, Newton Place Church came under the established church. In 1978 Partick South Church was formed by the amalgamation of three churches, Partick Newton Place, Partick Anderson and Hamilton Crescent, at 259 Dumbarton Road. A modern church building was erected on the site in 1988.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Church of Scotland, churches, horses and carriages, horses and carts, Newton Place United Free Church, Newton Place United Presbyterian Church, Partick Newton Place Church, Partick Newton Place Relief Church, Partick South Church, Partick West United Presbyterian Church, postcards, streetscenes, tenements, United Free Church of Scotland