This 1903 postcard shows King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra after laying the foundation stone for the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in George Street. Six different institutions were amalgamated to form the College.
When it opened in 1910, this was the largest building in Europe dedicated to technical education. Shortly afterwards, the institution was renamed the Royal Technical College. During the following fifty years the College consolidated its reputation in technical education and research. Although it offered some courses in management, the bias was very much towards science and engineering.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s the 'Tech took action to broaden its activities. It merged with the Scottish College of Commerce, which offered a wide range of business and arts subjects. Shortly afterwards, in 1964, the enlarged Royal College was granted a Royal Charter and became the University of Strathclyde.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
colleges, engineering, foundation stones, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Royal Technical College, science, Scottish College of Commerce, technical colleges, University of Strathclyde