The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 20 includes surnames from Barker to Brown.
Among those listed here is a "glew [sic] maker" in the Bridgegate. The presence of slaughter houses and meat markets near the foot of the Saltmarket provided the bones required by the renderer for boiling up to make glue.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
directories, family history, genealogy, glue manufacturers, John Tait's Directory, renderers