The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum provides a permanent memorial to the city's international exhibitions of both 1888 and 1901. Financed from the profits of the first exhibition, it was opened to house the Fine Art Section at the second.
The winning design was submitted by English architects J W Simpson and E J Milner Allen. The ornate Spanish Baroque style was intended to complement the University’s main building, which it faces across the River Kelvin. There is no truth in the story that the building was accidentally constructed back to front, causing one of the architects to commit suicide.
For the 1901 Exhibition, the city’s works of art were supplemented by others acquired on loan. Famous painters represented included Turner, Millais and Corot. Paintings by the Glasgow Boys, such as John Lavery and George Henry, featured prominently.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1901)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
art, art galleries, artists, exhibitions, Glasgow Boys, International Exhibition, 1888, International Exhibition, 1901, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, museums, painters, paintings, River Kelvin, Spanish Baroque, University of Glasgow