Prince's Dock looking east c 1890s, showing 130-ton steam crane in use fitting out a steamship at the west quay.
The crane was built by Cowans, Sheldon & Co and erected on a masonry base on the west quay in 1895, to install engines and boilers manufactured in local workshops. It was rebuilt in 1920 and dismantled in 1970.
Reference: T-CN 19-124
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cowans, Sheldon & Co, fitting-out basins, Prince's Dock, steam cranes, steamships