John McGregor (1802-1858), a founder of the shipbuilders and marine engineers, Tod & MacGregor.
Born and raised in Fintry, MacGregor became an apprentice at David Napier's engine works in Camlachie and went with the firm when it moved to Lancefield in 1821. With David Tod, a fellow engineer at Napier's, he founded Tod & MacGregor in 1834 and they began building steam engines at their works in Carrick Street and later at Worroch Street. In 1836 they opened a shipyard at Mavisbank. The yard was relocated to Meadowside near the mouth of the River Kelvin in 1845.
MacGregor lived at Meadowside House in Partick from 1846, and built Finnart House, a weekend home on Loch Long. His son William York MacGregor (1855-1923) was born at Finnart House, and became a famous painter and a leading figure among the influential group of artists known as the "Glasgow Boys."
Reproduced with the permission of N Gregor Macgregor
David Napier, Finnart House, marine engineers, Meadowside House, portraits, shipbuilders, Tod & MacGregor