The bottling hall at the White Horse bonded warehouse in Port Dundas, 1920s.
The women workers are wrapping the bottles in paper before they are packed in 12-bottle cases for shipment to customers. There are large whisky blending vats at the back of the hall, which is served by a network of overhead line shafts and belt drives to power machinery.
White Horse is a one of the most famous Scotch whisky brands and was introduced by the Glasgow firm James Logan Mackie & Co in the 1880s. The firm, which became Mackie & Co, Distillers and (in 1924) White Horse Distillers, opened its bonded warehouse complex in Borron Street in 1897.
Reproduced with the kind permission of the Diageo Archive
belt drives, blending vats, bonded warehouses, bottling halls, DCL, Distillers Co Ltd, Mackie & Co, Distillers, overhead lione shafts, packaging, packing departments, Scotch whisky, White Horse Distillers, women