The lower reaches of the Clyde, showing Harland & Wolff's Scotstoun works in the right foreground, late 1930s.
Harland & Wolff acquired the Scotstoun factory from Coventry Ordnance Works in 1920 and built diesel engines there until 1927, when the factory was mothballed. It reopened in 1936 to produce gun mountings, when the British government commenced its rearmament programme to meet the threat from Nazi Germany.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
aerial views, Coventry Ordnance Works, engine works, Harland & Wolff, marine engineers, River Clyde, shipbuilders