Aerial view of the Clyde Foundry in Helen Street, Govan, in the late 1930s. The steel-framed and reinforced glass-clad foundry was built by shipbuilders Harland & Wolff, to provide steel castings of components for the huge diesel engines that were installed in the firm's ships. It cost more than £1 million to build, covered nearly 27 acres and was the largest foundry in Europe when it opened in 1922. The foundry was closed in 1964 and demolished in 1967.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
aerial views, castings, Clyde Foundry, Harland & Wolff, marine engineering, marine engineers, shipbuilders, steel foundries, steel-framed buildings