An aerial view of Harland & Wolff's Govan Shipyard on the south bank of the River Clyde, late 1930s. The mouth of the River Kelvin appears at the top of the photograph, centre, and Harland & Wolff's Pointhouse yard to the east of the Kelvin, top right.
Harland & Wolff acquired the Govan Old, Middleton and Govan New shipyards in 1912, amalgamated them, added a fitting out basin at the eastern end of the site and in 1914-1915 built an extensive range of workshops on the west side of Water Row (top left corner). The Govan Shipyard closed in 1963 and a housing estate was built on the site. The workshops were demolished later.
The firm acquired the Pointhouse yard from A & J Inglis in 1919, the same year it acquired D & W Henderson's Meadowside Shipyard on the west bank of the Kelvin. The yards closed in 1935 and 1962 respectively.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
A & J Inglis, aerial views, D & W Henderson, fitting-out basins, Govan New shipyard, Govan Old Shipyard, Govan Shipyard, Harland & Wolff, Meadowside Shipyard, Middleton Shipyard, Pointhouse Shipyard, River Clyde, River Kelvin, shipyards, workshops