Aerial view of Harland & Wolff's Clyde Foundry in Helen Street in Govan, late 1930s.
Plans for the steel foundry were drawn up in 1917 when it was calculated that the firm's foundry at Finnieston would not be able to keep pace with projected demand for steel castings of major components for the firm's diesel engines. The new foundry cost more than £1 million to build and when it opened in 1922 it was the largest in Europe. However, the foundry never obtained sufficient work to enable it to operate at full capacity and it made heavy losses after the Second World War. It closed at the beginning of the Glasgow Fair, 1964, and was demolished in 1967.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
aerial views, castings, Clyde Foundry, Harland & Wolff, marine engineering, marine engineers, shipbuilders, steel foundries