Aerial photograph taken for the shipbuilders Harland & Wolff, showing the firm's Finnieston Engine Works at Lancefield Quay on the north bank of the River Clyde, late 1930s. Harland & Wolff opened the engine works (left of centre) in 1914 to provide diesel engines for their ships. The site was sold in 1965 to be redeveloped as a printing works for the Daily Record.
The Finnieston Vehicular Ferry is at the landing stage at the foot of Elliot Street on the far left (the landings had been moved upstream from their original sites in 1936). General Terminus Quay is in the foreground.
General Terminus Quay was opened by the Clyde Navigation Trust in 1849 to provide a loading quay for coal exporters. By the 1930s the London, Midland & Scottish Railway Co operated the quay and the railway branch line (the old General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway) and sidings which served it. The two coal conveyors, clearly visible on the quayside, were introduced after the First World War. During the 1950s the quay was redeveloped as an unloading facility for imported iron ore bound for the Lanarkshire steelworks.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
aerial views, Clyde Navigation Trust, coal conveyors, Daily Record, diesel engines, exports, ferries, Finnieston Deisel Engine Works: General Terminus Quay, Finnieston Ferry, General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway, Harland & Wolff, imports, iron ore, London, Midland & Scottish Railway Co, marine engineers, printing works, quays, railway teminii, railways, River Clyde, shipbuilders, ships, vehicular ferries