A two-car Glasgow District Subway train and uniformed staff at Copland Road Subway Station, pre-1914. Until the system was electrified in 1935, the Subway trains were hauled along the 6.5 miles of twin tunnels by means of a continuous cable, which can be seen on the track bed on the right.
The railway lines were built on a 4-feet gauge. Note the lattice gates at the ends of the cars, and the station's glass roof. The station was renamed Ibrox when the modernised Glasgow Underground reopened in 1980.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Archives
Copland Road Station, Glasgow District Subway, Glasgow Underground, subway stations, subway trains, subways, ticket collectors