Architect David Barclay (1846-1917), photographed wearing masonic regalia, in 1901. In that year, he was Deacon of the Incorporation of Masons, and Master of the Lodge of Glasgow St John, No 3 Bis.
Born in Glasgow, David Barclay was a partner with his brother Hugh in the firm of H & D Barclay, architects. He was involved in the design of over forty schools, including Glasgow Academy, as well as a number of churches and public buildings. He was President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects, 1898-1900.
Barclay's most important commission was for the new building of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. The site at the corner of George Street and Montrose Street was purchased in 1900, and a competition was held to appoint architects for the prestige project. The Board of Studies judged that Barclay's design, with its detailed plans of rooms, corridors and staircases, was the best. It was the largest educational building in the country when it was completed in 1910 and it is now the Royal College Building of the University of Strathclyde.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
architects, colleges, deacons, freemasons, Glasgow Academy, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow Institute of Architects, H & D Barclay, Incorporation of Masons, Lodge of Glasgow St John, masonic regalia, Royal College Building, schools, University of Strathclyde