Lord Provost Sir Donald Liddle having an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws conferred on him by University of Strathclyde Chancellor Lord Todd of Trumpington. The ceremony was held on the occasion of the opening of the John Anderson Building in 1971.
Born in Edinburgh, Liddle came to Glasgow as a child when his father set up a textile business in Drygate. He learned his trade in textiles with S H Mackinnon & Co, knitwear manufacturers. After Army service during the Second World War, he set up his own knitwear manufacturing business in King Street in 1946.
Liddle represented Dennistoun ward from 1956 to 1972, as a Progressive, one of a coalition of mainly conservative anti-Labour elements. He was a magistrate, and in 1969 was elected Lord Provost when the Progressives briefly held power, one of the few non-Labour councillors to hold the office since the war. He worked hard to attract new industries and jobs to the city, and provided a civic presence at many sad events following the Ibrox Disaster in 1971. After his term of office, he spent six years as chairman of the Cumbernauld Development Corporation.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
chancellors, councillors, Cumbernauld Development Corporation, graduation ceremonies, honorary degrees, Ibrox Disaster, 1971, John Anderson Building, knitwear, lord provosts, magistrates, Progressives, S H Mackinnon & Co, textile industries, University of Strathclyde