The entrance hall and corridor of Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College, pictured at the time of the opening of the new college building in Pitt Street in 1934.
The site had been purchased in 1926, but fundraising proved difficult at a time of economic depression and building work did not begin until 1932. Only the basement and two storeys were built, leaving room for extensions. The building cost £75,000, and provided accommodation for 2,000 students.
In 1888 the commercial part of the Glasgow Athenaeum was separated from the Music, Drama and Art sections and became the Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College. In 1915 it became the Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College and in 1955 the Scottish College of Commerce. Nine years later the Scottish College of Commerce combined with the Royal College of Science and Technology to form the University of Strathclyde.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
business management, colleges, education, Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College, Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College, Scottish College of Commerce, University of Strathclyde