The Incorporated Weaving, Dyeing and Printing College in Well Street, Calton, 1908. The three-storey building contained a waiting room and offices, a lecture room, and a house for the instructor. The lecture room held fifty students, and a handloom on which the teacher gave demonstrations. At the back of the building was a large weaving shed, where practical work took place.
In 1871, a Committee for Promoting Technical Education was organised in Glasgow. The result was the founding in 1877 of the Glasgow Technical College (Weaving Branch). It was intended as the first of three projected branches for workers engaged in the weaving industries in Glasgow, which were predominantly located in the East End.
In 1896 the college became a limited liability company, known as the Incorporated Weaving Dyeing and Printing College of Glasgow. After several years of negotiation it was absorbed by the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1908.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
Committee for Promoting Technical Education, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow Technical College (Weaving Branch), handlooms, Incorporated Weaving, Dyeing and Printing College, technical colleges, weaving industries, weaving sheds