The building occupied by the Glasgow Mechanics' Institution at 38 Bath Street, photographed around the time it became part of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1887.
The Mechanics' Institution was formed on 3 July 1823, following a dispute between the Mechanics' Class at Anderson's Institution (later Anderson's University) and the latter's managers. It was the precursor of a movement that spread across the world. The new Institution initially occupied the upper floor of a disused chapel in Shuttle Street. In 1831 John Leadbetter provided it with a building in North Hanover Street. Leadbetter was a successful linen merchant who was president of the Institution for ten years.
In 1862 the Institution moved to the Bath Street premises. In 1881 it became the College of Science and Arts, before being absorbed in the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1887.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
Anderson's Institution, Anderson's University, College of Science and Arts, colleges, education, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow Mechanics' Institution, linen merchants