Site clearance for the Royal College of Science and Technology's Students' Union in John Street, 1955. To the north of the site is the Fry's Metal Foundries' factory.
Fry's were described as "manufacturers of white metals, solders, printing metals" and owned foundries throughout the UK. The factory in John Street was established in the early 1920s and was relocated to 1650 London Road in 1958 after the original site was acquired by the Royal College. It was demolished the following year.
The Students' Representative Council (SRC) for day students of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College was formed in 1893. A separate body for evening students (the ESRC) existed in parallel for many years until the two amalgamated during the 1940s. In 1959 the title changed to the Students' Association, which in the same year took on the role of organising the newly opened Students' Union. The new Union provided catering and recreational facilities, and provided a home for many student societies. An extension was built in 1976.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
demolition, ESRC, Evening Students' Representative Council, Fry's Metal Foundries, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, printing metals, Royal College of Science and Technology, solders, SRC, Students Association, Students' Representative Council, Students' Union, tenements, University of Strathclyde buildings, white metals