Site clearance at the western end of Rottenrow in 1961, prior to the beginning of construction of the Thomas Graham Building which was completed in 1962. The building on the right is the James Weir Building, phase 2 of which was completed in 1960.
One of Glasgow's most historic streets, Rottenrow was severely fragmented by the expansion of the Royal College of Science and Technology and the University of Strathclyde. The University's occupation of the area was completed in 2001 with the acquisition of the former Rottenrow Maternity Hospital. The University worked with a demolition company, landscape architects and University gardeners to create the Rottenrow Gardens on the site, which opened in 2004.
The post-war increase in demand for engineers resulted in expansion of the Royal College of Science and Technology from its original building. The Montrose Street extension added considerable space in 1956, and it was followed by the James Weir building at the top of the hill in Montrose Street, providing a further 64,000 square feet of accommodation for the various engineering departments.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
demolition, engineering, engineers, James Weir Building, Rottenrow Gardens, Rottenrow Maternity Hospital, Royal College of Science and Technology, tenements, Thomas Graham Building, University of Strathclyde