This photograph from 1959 shows the demolition of tenements and the John Street factory of Fry's Metal Foundries (left) on the site of what was to be the Thomas Graham Building at the Royal College of Science and Technology, later the University of Strathclyde. The photograph was taken from the top of the James Weir Building (phase 1 of which was completed in 1958) looking north-west over Cathedral Street, which can be seen along the top of the picture.
Completed in 1962, the Thomas Graham Building was named after the first Professor of Chemistry at Anderson's University, Thomas Graham, who held the post from 1830 to 1837. The new building provided much-needed laboratory and lecture accommodation for the Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry, formed in 1964 from the amalgamation of the Department of Chemical Technology with the Department of Chemical Engineering. A further extension to the building was completed in 2002.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
Anderson's University, chemical engineering, chemical technology, chemistry, demolition, Fry's Metal Foundries, James Weir Building, laboratories, professors, Royal College of Science and Technology, tenements, Thomas Graham Building, University of Strathclyde buildings