A Dansken telescope, situated in the interior of the observatory dome on the top floor of the Royal Technical College in the 1920s. As suggested by the ship's wheel in the background, the observatory was in the care of the School of Navigation and the telescope was used to teach nautical astronomy. Among the other instruments kept in the observatory were a 13-inch Newtonian reflector, a 6-inch refractor, and a 2.75-inch transit instrument.
The School of Navigation was established in 1910 to provide seamen with the technical knowledge necessary to advance their career prospects. Day classes included a course of nautical training for youths preparatory to their going to sea as cadets. A complete series of courses was available for officers of the Merchant Navy qualifying for the certificates as Mate, Master, and Extra-Master of the Board of Trade. Four boats on the River Clyde were used for practical training. Evening classes were attended by yachtsmen and others interested in navigation and similar subjects.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
Board of Trade, cadets, Dansken telescopes, domes, Merchant Navy, nautical astronomy, observatories, observatory, River Clyde, Royal Technical College, sailors, School of Navigation, seamen, ship's wheels, yachtsmen