An aerial view of Glasgow city centre, looking east over George Square, taken in 1957. George Street runs along the centre of the picture, towards High Street Goods Station at the top, while Queen Street Station can be seen bottom left. To the south of George Street, the Merchant City area is almost entirely filled by commercial buildings.
The Royal College of Science and Technology campus is to the north of George Street, on the left. By this time Glasgow Corporation had zoned 6 acres to the east of the Royal College Building for College development. The gap site in the top centre of the photograph, cleared ready for construction, would house Marland House, opened in 1959 by its owners Post Office Telephones, and later sold to the University of Strathclyde for conversion into the Sir Graham Hills Building.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
aerial views, George Square, High Street Goods Station, Marland House, Post Office Telephones, Queen Street Station, Royal College of Science and Technology, Sir Graham Hills Building, University of Strathclyde