A photograph of John Lindsay Steven (1858-1909), taken in 1906 by Thomas Annan.
Steven was appointed assistant to the Professor of Clinical Medicine at Glasgow Western Infirmary in 1881 and one year later became the Pathological Chemist there. In 1890 he took up the posts of Pathologist at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Professor of Pathology at St Mungo's College where he also became Assistant Physician.
Between 1885 and 1898 Steven published numerous works on cardiac fibrosis and coronary heart disease which did much to further knowledge in that area of medicine. He also edited the Glasgow Medical Journal for eleven years. He became a Fellow of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 1889 and represented the Faculty on the General Medical Council from 1903 until his death in 1909.
Reference: RCPSG 1/12/7/77
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
chemists, doctors, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, General Medical Council, Glasgow Medical Journal, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow Western Infirmary, heart disease, medicine, pathologists, physicians, portraits, professors, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, St Mungo's College