A portrait of William Mackenzie (1791-1868) who became a member of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 1819.
Mackenzie was the son of a muslin manufacturer and was educated at Glasgow Grammar School and the University of Glasgow. Originally intending to become a minister, he changed his mind and gained a diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons in London and worked in the London Eye Infirmary, specialising in ophthalmology (anatomy and conditions of the eye). He became Professor of Anatomy and Surgery at Anderson's College, 1819-1828.
In 1824 Mackenzie and George Monteath (1788-1828) founded the Glasgow Eye Infirmary near Glasgow Cross. He was the first editor of the Glasgow Medical Journal in 1828, the year in which he left Anderson's College to become a lecturer in Ophthalmology at the University of Glasgow. In 1838 he was appointed Surgeon Oculist to the Queen in Scotland.
Reference: RCPSG, Illustrations used in The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow by Tom Gibson
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Anatomy and Surgery, Anderson's College, Anderson's University, doctors, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Grammar School, Glasgow Medical Journal, medicine, oculists, ophthalmologists, ophthalmology, portraits, professors, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, surgeons, University of Glasgow