A portrait of Robert Hamilton (1565?-1629), which is an 1822 copy of an original by an unknown artist.
In 1587 Hamilton was the servant of the Commendator of Pluscardine Abbey near Elgin which was one of the last strongholds of Catholicism in Scotland. He then studied medicine in Europe before returning to Scotland in 1594. He became Peter Lowe's physician assistant at the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. He is described as "professoure of medicine" in the original Faculty Charter of 1599.
Reference: RCPSG 1/12/7/17
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
doctors, Faculty of Physicians ans Surgeons, medicine, physicians, Pluscardine Abbey, portraits, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons