A surgical ward at Glasgow Royal Infirmary c 1914. The surgeon, his assistant and nurses on the right appear to be inspecting a plaster cast on a patient's lower leg.
This ward was located in the new six-storey Surgical Block which was built in 1909. Each floor was overseen by a visiting surgeon and contained a male and female ward, a room for the resident house surgeon, an operating theatre and about forty beds.
The building was named the Robert and James Dick Block in memory of James Dick, whose trustees presented £80,000 to help meet the costs of the reconstruction of the infirmary in the early 1900s.
Reference: RCPSG 28/80
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Glasgow Royal Infirmary, hospital wards, hospitals, house surgeons, nurses, patients, Robert and James Dick Block, Surgical Block