A detail of the cupola over the carved mahogany banisters of the main stairs at Holmwood House.
The house was designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson and built in 1857-1858 for a local paper mill owner, James Couper. It was subsequently occupied by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. The National Trust for Scotland took ownership of the building and grounds in 1994 and embarked on a programme of renovation and restoration of the building and its richly decorated interiors. The cupola has been beautifully restored and reveals the magnificence of the original craftsmanship while demonstrating the high quality of the restoration work that has been commissioned by the Trust.
Reference: Holmwood House 2
Reproduced with the permission of Greater Glasgow and Clyde Valley Tourist Board
cupolas, Holmwood House, interior design, National Trust for Scotland, paper makers, paper mills, Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions