The music room at the House for an Art Lover, Bellahouston Park.
In 1901 Charles Rennie Mackintosh entered a competition run by the German magazine Zeitschrift fur Innendekoration to design a "house for an art lover" (Haus eines Kunstfreundes). His entry did not win, but the drawings were published in 1902 and inspired a proposal to build the house in Glasgow. Work began in 1989 and the building opened in 1996.
The basement contains a gift shop and restaurant and the ground floor has a series of exhibition rooms, each created using Mackintosh’s original designs. The upper floors contain an international graduate study and conference centre for the Glasgow School of Art.
Reference: ART LOVERS HOUSE
Reproduced with the permission of Greater Glasgow and Clyde Valley Tourist Board
architectural competitions, architecture, Art Nouveau, chairs, conference centres, furnishings, furniture, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow Style, House for an Art Lover, interior design