The Glasgow School of Art in Garnethill.
In 1896 Honeyman & Keppie won an architectural competition to design a new building for the Glasgow School of Art. The winning entry was draughted by one of the firm's junior members of staff, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. It was clear, however, that the budget of £14,000 would not cover the cost of Mackintosh's design, and it was agreed that only the central and eastern half of the building should be built and the construction of the west wing would be postponed until additional funding could be found. Work started in 1897 and the first phase was finished by December 1899.
Work began on the west wing in 1907 and completed by December 1909. Mackintosh had reworked his designs during the eight years it had taken to raise funds, and the dramatic appearance of the new wing was in great contrast to the austerity of the earlier sections.
Glasgow School of Art continues to occupy the building at the beginning of the 21st century and so visitor access to the interior of the building is restricted. However, guided tours are available.
Reproduced with the permission of Greater Glasgow and Clyde Valley Tourist Board
architects, Art Nouveau, colleges, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow Style, Honeyman & Keppie, schools