Newlands farm c 1830.
Newlands farm stood near the point at which Newlands Road crosses St Bride's Road. A man is shown in a field with three horses. The farmhouse is behind him, screened by trees. The long, low building is typical of the period, with one part usually containing the farmer's dwelling and the other housing his animals. The building behind the farmhouse on the right may be the barn. A large industrial building can be seen some distance away to the left, and may be a mill or bleachworks at Pollokshaws.
This watercolour was made by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family and is one of a series which show buildings and scenery on the Pollok Estate.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
bleachworks, farmhouses, farms, fields, horses, landscapes, mills, Newlands Farm