The Hagbows c 1830.
This watercolour is one of a series painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. It shows the farm buildings at Hagbows (called Haggbowse on the 1864 Ordnance Survey map). They stood near the route along which Sherbrooke Avenue was subsequently laid out in Pollokshields. The farm was on top of a small hill or raise and was surrounded by fields. The pheasant in the corner, left, is a scrap which was pasted onto the painting at a later date.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
farmhouses, farms, fields, Hagbows Farm, landscapes, pheasants, Pollok Estate, scraps, watercolours