West Cowglen Farm c 1830.
The farm was located to the west of Boydstone Road, in what became the grounds of Cowglen Hospital. Two well-dressed men are out shooting, accompanied by their dog. Behind them are farm buildings which are typical of the area. The main farm building was a long, single-storey structure containing the farmer's living space and a separate area for his animals. The barn stood nearby.
This watercolour is one of a series painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. The paintings depict buildings and landscapes on the Pollok Estate, which was owned by the Maxwells.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
barns, Cowglen Hospital, dogs, farmhouses, farms, hunting, landscapes, Pollok Estate, retrievers, shooting, watercolours, West Cowglen Farm