Nether Auldhouse c 1830. The farm stood just to the south of Nether Auldhouse Road, near Fersit Street.
A man and woman are chatting on the road in the foreground and farm labourers are harvesting grain in a field behind. The Nether Auldhouse Farm buildings stand at the edge of the field, sheltered by trees. There is a large industrial building in the distance: the first edition Ordnance Survey map (issued 1863-1864) shows Auldfield House Dye Works located to the north of the farm on the far side of the Auldhouse Burn. The Auldfield Weaving Mills were erected in 1851.
The painting was by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. It is one of a series which depict buildings and landscapes on the Pollok Estate, owned by the Maxwells.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
Auldfield House Dye Works, dye works, farmhouses, farming, farms, fields, harvesting, hayricks, landscapes, Nether Auldhouse Farm, Pollok Estate, sickles, watercolours, women