Eastwood Parish Church (on the hill to the left), c 1830.
This church was built in 1781 to replace an earlier building which stood in the Old Cemetery to the west of Thornliebank Road. The Statistical Account of Scotland, 1791-1799 states that "it was removed from the neighbourhood of the manse, to a situation nearer to Pollok-shaws. It is now beautifully situated upon a rising ground above the village, and is one of the neatest country churches within the district." It was replaced by the current church in Mansewood Road, which was built 1862-1863.
This watercolour is one of a series painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. The paintings show buildings and landscapes on the Pollok Estate, which at that time was owned by the Maxwells.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
Church of Scotland, churches, Eastwood Church, Eastwood Parish Church, landscapes, Pollok Estate, watercolours