Kinning House c 1830.
Kinning House can be seen in the top left corner, partly hidden by trees and shrubbery. King Rhydderch of Strathclyde (d 612) is reputed to have built on the site. During the later medieval period the lands of Cwynghous belonged to the Maxwells of Pollok. They passed out of the family's hands in 1620 but were recovered ten years later. Presumably the house was rebuilt over time to meet changing needs and to repair wear and tear. It was demolished in 1872.
This watercolour is one of a series depicting buildings and landscapes on the Pollok Estate. The paintings were by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
Kinning House, lawns, Pollok Estate, watercolours