Low Shiels Farm c 1830.
Richardson's map of 1795 shows that Low Shiels farm was in Pollokshields, perhaps on Shields Road near the current junction with St Andrew's Drive. The painting depicts farm buildings surrounded by fields with cows grazing in the foreground. The farmhouse appears to be superior to some others depicted in the series, as it has a tiled roof and is neatly whitewashed.
The watercolour was painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. It is one of a series which depict landscapes and buildings on the Pollok Estate, which was owned by the Maxwells.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
cows, farmhouses, farms, fields, landscapes, Low Shields Farm, Pollok Estate, watercolours