The Shaw Mill c 1830.
The painting shows the two-arch Shaw Bridge spanning the White Cart Water at Pollokshaws. A woman is standing on stepping-stones under the bridge collecting water in a bucket and two men are standing on the bridge above her. The buildings to the right are apparently part of a meal mill and there are other buildings, perhaps houses, to the left. The bridge was demolished and replaced in the 1930s. The large goose, bottom left, is a scrap attached to the painting by an unknown person.
This watercolour is one of a series painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family, depicting buildings and scenery on the Pollok Estate.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
bridges, meal mills, Pollok Estate, River Cart, rivers, Shaw Bridge, Shaw Mill, stepping stones, watercolours, White Cart Water, women