A watercolour depicting the Townhouse at Pollokshaws c 1830.
This landscape was painted for the Maxwell family by an unknown artist and is one of a series showing scenes around the Pollok Estate. It depicts the view across the White Cart Water from Shawholm. The village of Pollokshaws and its Townhouse are in the distance, while in the foreground one man is fishing and another is carrying a rake.
Pollokshaws Townhouse was built in 1803 as a meeting place for the the local authority known as the "Community or Common Council of the Town of Pollokshaws". It had a Dutch-style clock tower which can clearly be seen rising above the houses and trees of the village. The Townhouse was demolished in 1934 although the clock tower remains at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
clock towers, Community or Common council of the Town of Pollokshaws, fishermen, fishing, landscapes, paintings, Pollok Estate, Pollokshaws Townhouse, River Cart, villages, watercolours, White Cart Water