High Shiels Farm c 1830.
A road curves round in front of the farm, which was set on a small hill. A cart with two horses is on the road, and the spires of the city stand out against a hilly background in the distance, right. High Shiels farm is believed to have stood in the area between modern-day Shields Road Underground Station and Pollokshields.
This watercolour is one of a series depicting buildings and landscapes on the Pollok Estate, and was painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
farmhouses, farms, High Shiels Farm, horses and carts, landscapes, Pollok Estate, spires, watercolours