Burntfield Farm c 1830.
The painting depicts a couple walking along the road in the foreground, with a woman ahead of them. There are farm buildings at the roadside and to the right. Records show that Bruntfield, also known as Bromisland, lay in the parish of Eastwood and was part of the Pollok Estate by 1718. By the 1830s the name had become Burntfield. The farm may have been located near what is now Burnfield Road in Mansewood.
This watercolour is one of a series made by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family. The paintings depict buildings and scenery on the Pollok Estate.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
Bromisland Farm, Bruntfield Farm, Burntfield Farm, cottages, farmhouses, farms, landscapes, Pollok Estate, watercolours, women