Kinning House c 1830.
This watercolour was painted for the Maxwell family by an unknown artist. It is one of a series showing views of the Pollok Estate c 1830. Two gentlemen are standing in the foreground and cows are grazing in the field. Kinning House is in the distance, partly screened by trees.
Kinning House (or Old Kenning House as it is called here) stood on Paisley Road West until it was demolished in the 1870s. It has been suggested that the name was derived from the Old English cony which means rabbit. Others have argued that the name comes from cunyie or cunnyng meaning a corner, since Kinning Park was originally a field set in a corner where the road crossed the Kinning House Burn.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
country houses, cows, fields, Kinning House, landscapes, mansions, Old Kenning House, Pollok Estate, watercolours