A watercolour depicting Haggs Castle c 1830.
Painted by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family, this is one of a series which show scenes from the Pollok Estate. The castle ruins are on the right. Two small cottages face each other across the road. A passer-by points out the castle to his companion.
Haggs Castle was built in 1585 by Sir John Maxwell (d 1595). The family lived there until 1752 when they moved to the newly built (and more comfortable) Pollok House. The castle became ruinous but was restored in 1860.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
castles, cottages, Haggs Castle, Pollok Estate, ruins, watercolours