A watercolour showing Pollok Estate c 1830, by an unknown artist working for the Maxwell family.
Pollok House is in the centre, partly hidden by trees, and was built between 1747 and 1752 for Sir John Maxwell, the second baronet. To the left is the bridge over the White Cart Water, built in 1758. The Maxwell family coat of arms has been added at the top, as have verses from a poem.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Trust for Scotland
bridges, coats of arms, country houses, mansions, Pollok Estate, Pollok House, Pollok Park, River Cart, White Cart Water