Players and officials of Petershill FC, photographed in 1940 with the Central League Championship trophy for season 1939-1940, won by the club for the second successive season. As Western Division champions, they beat the winners of the Eastern Division, Strathclyde, in a play-off.
The photograph appears in the club handbook for season 1940-1941, which lists fixtures beginning in June. In the aftermath of Dunkirk, the handbook makes reference to events elsewhere: "The publishers regret that owing to the paper rationing the size of this year's handbook has been drastically reduced, and until better times come back we will have to conform to Government regulations."
The club was formed in 1897, and for the first thirty years the team played at Arrol Park. In 1935 the club moved to Petershill Park, where local volunteers laid the pitch and erected the terracing, pavilion and dressing room. Petershill have been junior league champions ten times in their history and have won the Scottish Junior Cup on five occasions, the last time in 1956 when they beat Lugar Boswell Thistle 4-1.
Reference: KMC SC 276936 MOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Kevin Morrison Collection
Arrol Park, Central League Championship, football teams, footballers, junior football, Petershill FC, Petershill Park, Scottish Junior Cup, Second World War, trophies